Friday, November 2, 2012

Nickie's Ten Questions to Harlan Coben

One of the authors whose books I love to read is Harlan Coben. Not the Myron Bolitar series (which are great) but the stand-alone novels. Coben is one of the few mystery authors who are able to surprise me -and that is what I like best, being an author myself. I want to sharpen my brain and find out who did it and why, and most times I can tell how it will go from the start. Not with these novels. Harlan always puts you on the wrong foot, and even when you think you know how it went, he still surprises you!


Website of Harlan Coben


Following are the questions I asked Harlan some time ago:

1. When did you start writing?

When I was in college. Senior year.

2. Was it always your intention to become a writer?

No. I know some writers claim they always knew. I am not one of them. I'm not sure I like them either!

3. Did you have (a lot of) problems getting your first book published?

Less than most, but yes, it was difficult. If you can't take rejection, you are in the wrong business. I was lucky. I learned rejection from dating in high school. Drum roll, thank you, I'm here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress.

4. How do you handle criticism?

Eh. While I'm writing, I don't handle it well at all because it freezes me. After the book is done, okay, then it's okay to comment more truthfully. Also, you're never as good as your best review and never as bad as your worst. So don't let them get you down.

5. You are the first author to win both the Edgar, Shamus and Anthony Award! How does it feel to have won three major awards?

It is humbling and wonderful. You can't see, but I'm batting my eyes modestly right now.

6. How long do you work at a new book?

Nine months to a year.

7. Does it take a lot of research to get everything right?

No. I'm from the "hum a few bars and fake it" school of research. Most of my research is done with phone calls to key people. I'm much more concerned with story than research.

8. You did work in the travel industry before. What's your favorite destination?

Hmm, tough one. I love Paris and London and Rome. I dig Thailand and the sites of Egypt are incredible.

9. Will you still publish Myron Bolitar novels?

There is an old Yiddish expression: Man plans, God laughs. So yes, I plan on doing more Myron books, but no, I don't know when or how.

10. Who's your own favorite crime writer?

This one will get me in trouble - I have too many friends in the business - so I'll leave it blank!

No comments:

Post a Comment